Netflix announced today that filming has started on Anna K, its first Original from Russia, and introduced several members of the series’ cast.
The international streamer first announced Anna K — a lavish and contemporary retelling of Tolstoy‘s Anna Karenina, considered one of the greatest Russian novels ever written — back in May 2021, when Svetlana Khodchenkova (Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, The Wolverine, The Sect) was cast in the titular role.
Set in modern-day Russia, Anna K follows socialite Anna Karenina, the wife of the soon-to-become governor of St. Petersburg, as she enters into a life-changing love affair with Vronsky, the dashing heir of an aluminum empire. Their relationship quickly careens out of control, threatening the delicate balance of their familial bonds and social relationships.
The drama, set between cosmopolitan Moscow, historic St. Petersburg, and Russia’s rugged countryside, explores themes of passion, loyalty, and the irrefutable truth that no amount of riches can save us from love’s ability to either free us or bring us to our doom.
Said Anna Nagler, Director, Local Language Originals, CEE and Russia:
“We are extremely honored to start working on the first Russian Netflix series. It’s thrilling to start production in a new and exciting region for us and we hope our project will appeal to viewers around the world. We’ve teamed up with excellent Russian talents and are excited to announce a bright team of actors.”
Joining Khodchenkova in the series are:
- Fedor Bondarchuk — A-list Russian director (Stalingrad, Invasion, Attraction), actor (Sputnik), producer and TV host, plays Alexey Karenin, Anna’s husband.
- Yuriy Kutsenko — Russian TV, film, and theater actor (Mama Don’t Cry, Night Watch, The Balkan Line) plays Stepan “Stiva” Oblonsky, Anna’s brother.
- Yuliya Aleksandrova — Russian comedic actress (Gorko!) plays Darya “Dolly” Oblonskaya, Stepan’s wife.
- Yuriy Borisov — The only Russian actor in the lead role of two films selected for the 2021 Cannes Film Festival (Petrov’s Flu, Compartment #6), and a star of the Netflix film Silver Skates, plays Konstantin Levin, an old friend of Stiva.
- Alexander Tsypkin — Russian celebrity writer, columnist, and scriptwriter (Farewell, my love!) plays Sergey Koznyshev, Konstantin’s half-brother.
- Tatiana Dogileva — Award-winning Russian actress (An Ordinary Woman) plays Agathya Mikhailovna, Levin’s former nurse-turned-housekeeper.
- Dasha Vereshchagina — Newcomer Russian actress plays Ekaterina “Kitty” Shcherbatskaya, Dolly’s younger sister and (later) Levin’s wife.
The actor that has yet to be announced is the one who will play the key role of Vronsky, the man who draws Anna towards him with irresistible passion and charm.
Stay tuned for updates.
As an affiliate of Amazon and other companies, ads & affiliate links on this blog allow us to earn income from qualifying actions and purchases (at no extra cost to you).
Share this post/page.